Little Shop of Horrors
The hilarious yet slightly scary musical comedy written by the Disney duo of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, stars a blood-thirsty man-eating plant, a shy shop assistant called Seymour, and Audrey the object of Seymour's affections. The blood-sucking plant 'Audrey 2' brings fame, misfortune and chaos to Seymour and all the inhabitants on Skid Row.
This 1960s style rock and pop musical includes the well-known songs 'Somewhere that's Green', 'Suddenly Seymour', 'Downtown' and 'Little Shop of Horrors'.
Little Shop of Horrors was performed from 24th - 28th October 2018 at Leighton Park Theatre, Reading.
Books and Lyrics by Howard Ashman, music by Alan Menken. Based on the film by Roger Corman, screenplay by Charles Griffith. This amateur production is presented by arrangement with Music Theatre International (Europe).
Little Shop of Horrors was directed by Wendy Carne, with musical direction by Cameron Baker, choreography by Denise Schult and lighting design by Becca Simons.
What the audience said
Tell all persons involved with Audrey II that they are amazing!! The show was fantastic and we're all wondering how Audrey II worked.
Was blown away by the talent and professionalism of your production. Your leading man and lady were outstanding as was the plant. Congratulations to all involved.
I was lucky enough to go to the opening night of this fabulous show last night. It was absolutely hilarious and the cast and music were fantastic.
This show is absolutely brilliant! The cast, music and set made for a fantastic evening and laugh out loud show which was enjoyed by all. Thank you Sainsbury Singers.
Fantastic show in every way that was thoroughly enjoyed by a group of us who came on Friday. Splendid set, superb singing, great band, wonderful costumes, lovely characterisation and attention to detail with some very special and funny moments. Little Shop of Horrors was absolutely first class and so enjoyable. I could see how much work goes on behind the scenes too and that's down to amazing teamwork. Looking forward to the next show!
What a fantastic night last night, we went to see the Sainsbury Singers in their latest production, The Little Shop of Horrors, they are all such stars, and in my mind should be starring in the West End, they really are amazing. It was certainly worth the four hour journey to see this performance. Congratulations to you all, you were fabulous and we all had a great evening. Thank you for making it so pleasurable.
Just wanted to say how much I loved the show! Being there on opening night, I expected a few hiccups but glad to say, there weren't any from the cast that I could see. The band sounded fantastic, although a little loud. The staging was fantastic, the dentist room was great and I loved how Audrey II came alive! I wish you all a fabulous run...go out there and smash it, you've got an amazing show!!
What an impressive bunch you all are! Thoroughly enjoyed your opening night, well done to all involved!
We really enjoyed Little Shop of Horrors this evening. Great set, music and cast.
Wow!! Just seen this amazing show! When they call themselved "Singers" they are NOT joking! I laughed and whooped and cheered until I was hoarse! Brilliant!
I thought the show was fabulous last night. Great characters and it had me laughing out loud throughout.
Well done everybody - I loved it! That is the 6th time I've seen it live on stage, plus several times watching the Roger Corman film (Jack Nicholson) plus the musical version (Rick Moranis). Well done to all!
I think it was one of my favourites and the singing was on a whole other level. I was totally blown away. I have never found such a tragic storyline so funny. Everyone was so strong. I wish I could come again!!
Fantastic show! Really well done! I've had a shocking week and even this morning was tough but that couple of hours of musical wonderfulness has made all the difference! Well done to all involved.
Photos by Alexis Gray
- Chiffon Emily Hutchings
- Crystal Jessamy Vincent
- Ronnette Helen Thomas
- Mushnik Brian Bretney
- Audrey Lorraine Cox
- Seymour Gareth Wells
- Orin Chris Reeves
- Audrey II Steve Jewell
- Mr Bernstein Chris Thomas
- Mrs Luce Louise Quelch
- Skip Snip Matthew Smith
- Patrick Martin Josh Bethel
- Puppeteers Stephen Cox, Claire Wilson
- Inhabitants of Skid Row Josh Bethel, Stephen Cox, Millie Criddle, Dean Davis, Kelly Herman, Steve Jewell, Louise Quelch, Hannah Scariskbrick-Rowe, Denise Schult, Michael Schult, Charlie Scott, Matthew Smith, Chris Thomas, Claire Wilson
The Little Shop of Horrors Band
- Keyboard 1 and MD Cameron Baker
- Keyboard 2 Trevor Defferd
- Guitars Jack Rennie
- Bass Guitar Jim Pullen
- Percussion Luke Wyeth
Behind the Scenes
- Director Wendy Carne
- Musical Director Cameron Baker
- Choreographer Denise Schult
- Production Coordinator Emma Reeves
- Lighting Designer Rebecca Simons
- Sound Designer/Operator Ian Reeves
- Sound & Lighting Equipment Hire Dinrino Theatre Services dinrino.co.uk
- Additional Lighting Equipment Kim Hollamby
- Stage Manager John Simmonds
- Deputy Stage Manager Katie Wise
- Stage Crew Joe Daniels, John Simmonds, Kazia Grainger, Wendy Carne, Stephen Cox, Emma Reeves.
- Sound Assistant Emma Reeves
- Sound Effects Brian Bretney
- Props and Set Kazia Grainger & Wendy Carne
- Scenery Hire Scenetec
- Wardrobe Mistress Amanda Bretney
- Wardrobe Assistants Olivia Bretney & Catherine Hannan
- Makeup Catherine Hannan & Rachel Sargeant
- Hair and Wigs Catherine Hannan
- Prompt Kazia Grainger
- Displays Marketing Team
- Webmaster Kim Hollamby
- Website Content Manager Katie Wise
- Marketing Team Emma Bradbury, Kazia Grant, Louise Quelch, Denise Schult, Katie Wise
- Programme and Handbill Design Jessamy Vincent
- Publishing Manager Jessamy Vincent
- Photography Alexis Gray & Members of the Society
- Fundraising Team Lorraine Cox, Michael Schult, Kerry Thomas
- Social Team Stephen Cox, Catherine Hannan, Chris Reeves
Society Front of House Team
- Front of House Manager John Jones
- Front of House Liaison Michael Schult
- Ticket Manager Stephen Cox
- Bar Manager Justin Simons
- Cafe Manager and First Aider Lucy Hutson
- Chief Usher & Fire Marshall Patrick Bretney
- Front of House Volunteers Gemma Bagshaw, Sarah Baker, Olivia Bretney, Craig Clements, Joe Daniels, Carol Criddle, Sophie Criddle, Samara Farrow, Emma Fry, Rob Furnell, Gerry Hiscock, Liam Kent, Hils Latimer, Rob Latimer, Arthur Reeves, Emma Reeves, Lawrence Reeves, Andy Schult, David Schult, Laura Schult & Gordon Wyard.